Friday, November 16, 2012

Challenge Accepted.

  

This is how I feel about every meal right now.  The last month has been rough nutritionally.  Since my birthday, even my best laid plans have fallen short. My sweet tooth has been uncontrollable and I've been eating more and more "off plan" stuff. 

On top of that, I've had a nasty sinus infection and ear infection that has held on for over two weeks now. Two Saturdays ago I woke up at 1:00 in the morning with a fever of 101 and dragged myself to urgent care and promptly started a Z-pack for the infections. I wasn't feeling well on Friday at work still and wanted to go back to the doctor but work was too crazy so I didn't.  After running a 5k and 4 hours Zumba on Saturday, classes on Sunday, and shopping and more Zumba I woke up Tuesday morning with vertigo and my face felt like it was full of lead. So back to the doctor for more antibiotics and a shot of steroids.

So feeling sick, being full of steroids, and already off plan I was making really poor decisions.  I ate ice cream, chocolate covered cherries, cake and a McFlurry in the span of three days. 

I slammed on the brakes and said "Hey! This isn't right! I don't do this anymore!" And put myself on a 7 day, no sweets challenge. I've done this before and it's hard for me. One nutritionist I saw put me on a no sugar, no carb, no dairy, gluten free diet and it was hard. I think chocolate/sweets and potatoes are tied for hardest things to give up.

And they're equally as bad for my body. With PCOS and the insulin resistance it causes they both make me feel so good at the time and so bad a few hours later. It's terrible how bad the mental addiction is. 

Today is day 2 and I'm hurting. I finished dinner and am dying for just a smidge of something sweet. One square of dark chocolate is all I really want. Just one! It almost feels like the meal is incomplete without that smidge of something sweet. 

I won't give in though and I know that when I do have something sweet on Thanksgiving it will be even better since I abstained leading up to the holiday. I won't over indulge either! Apple pie or pecan pie - just one slice. That's all! 

Until then very meal is a challenge, and one I've willingly accepted. 

Game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment