Saturday, January 28, 2012

Worst. Week. Ever. and 30 before 30.

Let's recap...

Sunday night I sliced my thumb so deeply that it bled for over three hours.  I was opening a can of water chestnuts to make a veggie stir fry.  Apparently eating healthy is going to be the death of me! I knew I probably needed stitches but I was NOT going to the ER unless it kept bleeding or got worse to a point where I couldn't control the bleeding. 

I went in to work Monday morning and it was still oozing on and off.  I tried to call my doctor but kept getting put on hold.  I wound up going to see another doctor to get a tetanus shot.  He said my finger needed stitches but because it happened more than 6 hours before he couldn't stitch it.  Got my shot, directions to keep it clean and dry and sent on my way home. I taught a kick butt class that night and hoped that keeping my arm moving would make it not hurt the way tetanus shots normally do.

Tuesday my arm was a bit sore but it didn't hurt.  I was so pleased! Things started to go south about 10am though.  I wound up with hives down my neck and over to my shoulder.  I thought it was stress but then it dinged - it was a minor allergic reaction to the tetanus.  I know this because it's on my shoulder and neck next to my injection site.  Brilliant.  At least it was minor and was easily controlled by benadryl. Sarah and I had two amazing hours of Zumba Tuesday night.  That helped to make me feel better more than anything.  Woo endorphin rush! I did end the night by bashing my head against my bedside table giving me a knot on the head and a bad headache.

Wednesday is when the bottom dropped out.  At about 2 p.m. the knot in my arm from the tetanus got huge, red, swollen and was hot to the touch,.  I was not pleased. It started to hurt to move my arm to answer my phone.  I had a class to teach and a TurboKick class to take and I wasn't giving in to the stupid injection so I went! And I regretted it - instantly!  I probably would have been okay with just the Zumba but that hour of TK is my hour! I love that class, I love the instructor, and I love just being a student.  (Oddly enough, though, I want to get certified for TK now. LOL)  During Zumba one of my students started calling me "Nemo" because I had one good arm and one that wouldn't go above shoulder height.  It was still a great class, though.  I love the crew at the studio! Ended the night with a big dose of motrin and a hot compress on my arm. 

Thursday morning my arm was still killing me and it showed very few signs of getting better.  I medicated and did another warm compress and tried to force my arm to move as much as possible.  I knew holding it still was a bad idea.  I taught Zumba at the Y and then headed to the studio where I goofed off for the last half of Sarah's class before teaching Hip Hop Hustle.  I was in agony because moving my arm was difficult but I was so high on life it didn't really matter.  My arm was throbbing but it was moving easier than it was the night before and I pushed through to teach the entire HHH class. 

Then on Friday I hated myself for doing so.  My arm was killing me and then I had to go and add insult to injury - it was time for my depo shot.  So now I have a bum right arm, a sore spot on my left hip and I'm feeling gross all over.  I decided I wanted to go out to dinner and splurge! Nachos! Buffalo chicken sandwich! A light beer! A tasty molten chocolate cake! When I got home I was sitting on the couch and something in my lower back popped and I nearly puked it all up.  I was scared I popped a disc out of place or broke something. I took meds and went to bed before hurting myself further.

This morning  was feeling better but I was still in pain in my hip and my shoulder but at least my back wasn't hurting! Zumba this morning was fabulous and I've spent the day grocery shopping and then taking a much needed almost 3 hour nap.  Now, of course, this has me worried.  It could be more post injection grossness or it could be the tip of me getting the flu.  Normally I get hit with the exhaustion first and then the other symptoms.  Going to take it easy tonight and pray I feel better in the morning.

About a week ago someone on the Powder Blue instructor Facebook page mentioned she was doing a 30 before 30 list - 30 things to do before her 30th birthday which is next January.  I thought this was a great idea! Since I've only got till October I'm going to push to do all 30 before then but I'll be happy if I finish the list before 2013 starts.  One of things I added to the list - get TurboKick certified.  Other things on the list include: conquering my fear of sand and walking barefoot on the beach, baking a cake completely from scratch, reading some books, watching some movies I never got around to, various other fitness related things.  I'll be updating as time goes on when I cross things off.

Has anyone out there done anything similar?

1 comment:

  1. Yikes what a terrible week! Hope next week is better!!! I am doing a 30 by 30 list too! I just posted it on my blog last week:



Follow by Email