Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The New Nutritionist...

So much more awesome and sane than my last nutritionist. 

Some back story.  Last year, at the advice of my primary care physician and my Peak Health nurse I went to see a nutritionist.  She was just over a town and came highly recommended.

The woman was PSYCHOTIC.  Okay, not psychotic, but certainly extreme in her thoughts on nutrition. the diet she wanted me on?

  • Sugar free
  • Gluten Free
  • Dairy Free
  • Carbohydrate Free
  • Low Fat
She wanted me, when all was said and done, to only be eating lean meats and non starchy vegetables.  I never expressed any interest in a paleo diet... but that's where she wanted to take me.  I tried gluten free, sugar free and low carb and I never felt even but she kept pushing it.

Eventually I took myself out of the situation and went solo trying to find the right mix for me.

When I saw my endocrinologist in September and expressed my concerns over the weight not coming off fast enough she said to me "You need to work out less so you can eat less.  If you eat more than 1500 calories you won't lose weight."  I said oooooooohhhhh-kay.  I asked for a referral to another nutrionist.

I finally saw her today and she is AWESOME.  First off -  I lose 14 pounds since September according to the doctors office scale.  She said "No one loses 14 pounds over Christmas!"  I giggled. Secretly I did a dance.  I weigh too often at home and sometimes lose sight of the big picture.

When I told her what my exercise schedule entailed she stared at my blankly before going "Wow.  So that's not an issue." I showed her my bodybugg and my WW log.  I told her what I was eating, switches I had already made, expressed to her that I am a self avowed carb-whore.

Take aways from the appointment?  Her only concerns were that I'm not eating at regular enough intervals and that I'm too damn concerned about carbs.  She told me to get that other nutritionist out of my head.  I was doing fine and as long as I wasn't feeling the carbohydrate fog after eating I was fine.

Today I did my 20 minute Turbo Jam workout and 2 hours of Zumba.  I am sore as all get out and ready for some serious sleep!

2 comments:

  1. THREE BIG CHEERS FOR NUTRITIONAL CLARITY :)
    xo


    Miz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for an awesome nutritionist! Like you, I can't see cutting out an entire food group. I've done Weight Watchers before and I know what I should eat and what I shouldn't. I was so motivated but somewhere in between I got lost. I'm searching for that light again.

    ReplyDelete